The Loons of MNUFC2 came into their first rematch of the season on an undefeated streak. Three straight shootout victories certainly gave the players a lot of practice on the net, and with five goals, that practice showed. This game against Colorado Rapids 2 showcased a lot of level-headed soccer for the Loons, especially when it came time to capitalize.

The first goal of the match came in the 22nd minute by way of a free kick just outside of the box. Emanuel Iwe curved the ball over the Rapids 2 defensive wall and into the top right corner of the net.

Niko Hansen increased the Minnesota lead to 2-0 in the 24th minute of play. Hansen passed the ball wide to Tommy Williamson, splitting the Rapids 2 defense. Williamson was in great positioning to have a look himself, but decided on the assist with a cross to the center of the box. The ball was nearly intercepted, but Hansen was all over the defense with pressure that ultimately resulted in a boot to the back of the net.

Rapids 2 answered in the 26th minute, keeping them from a second shutout against the Loons. Yosuke Hanya drove up the left side of the field with some quick touches around the Loons defense. Using his speed, Hanya made a break across the goal line before sending the ball into the box. The ball found Darren Yapi, who spun around the defense and landed a dart into the left corner of the net.

Aziel Jackson battled for his goal in the 37th minute. Taking advantage of a misstep by a Rapids 2 defender, Jackson applied pressure and fought through to the goal, sinking a nicely placed ball to the right side of the net.

In the 41st minute of play, Williamson intercepted the ball from a Rapids 2 push forward. Williamson sped up the right side of the field where he passed it to Hansen in the center of the box. Hansen kept his composure with two defenders blocking his path to the goal. The Loons midfielder juked out the defense with a cut behind his back to his left foot, followed by a quick switch to his right foot. Hansen then made an easy pass behind the Rapids 2 keeper making the score 4-1 at the close of the half.

The second half was less exciting than the first, however, there were solid looks–and saves–from both sides. Most of the half showcased a back and forth attack that continued without fruition. That is until Tommy Williamson capitalized in the 79th minute. Williamson positioned himself well at the top of the box to receive a cross from Aziel Jackson. With some quick touches around the Rapids 2 defense, he sent the ball to the right side of the net.

The Sunday afternoon game came to a close with a 5-1 scorecard, extending the Loons unbeaten streak to seven. This game showed strong offensive decision-making from MNUFC2, with many of their goals resulting from good play-making and necessary calm in the box. Let us hope that the trend continues when the Loons face Sporting KCII on June 4.