The MNUFC Pre-Academy Program serves as an entry into the Minnesota United Academy. Fourteen players from last year’s Pre-Academy program were selected to the 2018-19 U13 team. “Getting to see, work with and test these players was huge for us to be able to hit the ground running going in to the season. These players had the opportunity to train with our U13 team, as well as play in MLS and US Soccer Development Academy Events,” said U13 Head Coach Andy Seidel.
Players who join the Pre-Academy Program are placed at an Academy Development Center (ADC) in either an ADC-AP (Advanced Placement) or an ADC-Metro group. These centers can be found throughout the Twin Cities and no players are cut from this program. The key at this level is placing players in an appropriate group, based on ability. Players for the Winter Phase are placed one of two ways; those who participated in the Fall Phase are placed based on an evaluation of that program, while new players will need to attend the Placement Screening.
“We look at every training session as a way to influence the player, and hopefully uncover a unique quality in each player. We understand that every player develops at different rates, so having the ability to continue to influence them, over time, is a huge benefit,” said Joe Burger, Youth Programs Technical Coordinator.
Fall 2018 Pre-Academy Highlights:
- ADC-AP group participated in the adidas GA Cup playing matches vs. Colorado Rapids, Atlanta United, LAFC, Columbus Crew SC, Houston Dynamo and Orlando City
- Eight players trained with U13 Academy team in the fall
- Hosted St. Louis Scott Gallagher U11 and U12 and Sporting KC U12 for a weekend of games
- 115 ADC-Metro players and 80 ADC-AP players participated in the Metro/AP Festival for a grand total of 195 players in the entire program
The second phase of Pre-Academy will begin in February for players born in 2007, 2008 and 2009. This phase will include both Advanced Placement and Metro groups. The culminating event for the Winter Phase will be the LA Galaxy Cup in Los Angeles, California, competing against MLS, DA and international teams.
Screenings for players begin on January 8. Please use the link below to get more information and register.
The Winter 2019 Phase will start in February and run through April. Below are the locations and days:
- AP: Various sites (Saturdays/Thursdays)
- Metro NorthWest: Adrenaline Sports Center, Ramsey (Wednesdays)
- Metro SouthWest: Shakopee HS, Shakopee (Saturdays)
- Metro Central: National Guard Armory, Bloomington (Tuesdays)