Match Recap | MNUFC2 - 3, Tacoma Defiance - 1


MNUFC2 found its scoring form on Sunday afternoon, netting three goals in front of home fans at the National Sports Center Stadium in Blaine, ultimately defeating the Tacoma Defiance 3-1.

Within the first 15 seconds of the match, MNUFC2 found themselves with the opening shot of the match after Darius Randell took a long shot on the right side of the pitch that went wide.

Five minutes later, Twos’ midfielder Alejandro Bran settled the ball from a throw-in from teammate Finn McRobb. Bran, with his back to goal, turned for a long shot on goal but it was saved by the Tacoma Defiance goalkeeper.

The Twos had a goal scoring opportunity in the 16th minute after Rory O’Driscoll served the ball to the back post from a corner kick, finding Randell. Randell headed the ball down near Victor Eriksson inside the six-yard box but was unable to get his foot on the ball.

Though MNUFC2 controlled a lot of the first half possession and scoring chances, Tacoma Defiance netted the first goal of the match in the 32nd minute after a ball was crossed from the left flank into the Twos’ box. Minnesota defender Zarek Valentin tried to head the ball out, but instead was headed high, allowing Tacoma’s Osaze De Rosario to gain possession. De Rosario found Yu Tsukanome inside the 18-yard box, who fired a shot on goal that found the back of the net.

But MNUFC2 persisted and equalized the game in the 38th minute after defender Britton Fischer crossed the ball from the right flank into the box where he found Patrick Weah on top of the six-yard box. Weah, un-marked, dove and finished with a headed shot towards the bottom right corner of the goal.

MNUFC2 put pressure on Tacoma Defiance’s back line, creating goal scoring opportunities that couldn’t quite find the back of the net, out shooting Tacoma eight shots to two. The Twos came back late in the second half with an equalizing goal to put themselves on the scoreboard before the first half ended.

The Twos took the lead in the 59th minute after Minnesota United midfielder Alejandro Bran lined up to take a direct free kick a few yards outside the 18-yard line. Bran fired a shot that ricocheted off Tacoma Defiances’ wall over the top of goalkeeper Jacob Castro and ultimately into goal.

MNUFC2 then extended its lead in the 72nd minute. Darius Randell put in a through pass towards Britton Fischer who was making a run on the near side. Fischer sent a low curling pass in front of goal where Finn McRobb one-touched it into goal to give the Twos the commanding 3-1 victory.


0-1 TAC – Yu Tsukanome, assisted by Osaze De Rosario (32’)
1-1 MNUFC2 – Patrick Weah, assisted Britton Fischer (38’)
2-1 MNUFC2 – Alejandro Bran (60’)
3-1 MNUFC2 – Finn McRobb, assisted by Britton Fischer (72’)


Caution, TAC – Osaze De Rosario (27’)
Caution, TAC – Frank Daroma (28’)
Caution, TAC – Antino Lopez (35’)
Caution, MNUFC2 – Alejandro Bran (82’)


1 – Defender Finn McRobb scored his very first professional goal in today’s match against the Tacoma Defiance.
2 – Fellow defender Britton Fischer provided two assists on the day, a single-game high for the North Carolina native with MNUFC2.
4 – Forward Patrick Weah scored his fourth goal of the MLS NEXT Pro regular season. Weah has scored a goal in four out of the past five matches.

TEAM LEADERS (Updated through May 19)

Goals – Patrick Weah (4)
Assists – Britton Fischer, Molik Jesse Khan (2)
Saves – Alec Smir (15)
Wins – Alec Smir (2)
Shutouts – (1)